Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 July 2013

The Irish side of my family

One thing I noticed when I got to Ireland is that I have a lot of relatives here. My Granny Cathy went to New Zealand when she was 17 on a boat P&O Orient The Orsova a long time ago.  She had five children then moved back to Ireland in 1987 with her second husband Bruce.  We see Granny and Bruce a bit because they come to visit us in Te Pahu, but not many of the other cousins, aunties or uncles because New Zealand is a very long way from Ireland.  When it is day and summer here, it is night and winter in New Zealand. We  go to bed late here, it is still quite light even at 11 at night.
My uncle Michael is a musician and plays guitar at lots of different places.  Last night he played a few tunes at Mannions bar in Balla (pronounced Baal).  It has traditional Irish music.  I wasn't allowed to go because it was a late night and kids shouldn't go to pubs.  
Michael is married to Ana who is Spanish.  Their kids are my cousins Samuel and Ewan.
My Aunty Clodagh lives on the other side of Castlebar, she is married to Irish Colin and they have four girls; Shannon, Jasmine, Annelise and Meisha Bell.  Granny has two brothers and five sisters and they provide lots of cousins.
Granny took us for a walk over the old family land in Ballyglass yesterday.  The old stone cottage had fallen down but some of the barn was still standing. We picked wild strawberries when we walked back along the boreen (small road). We had to watch out for nettles as they sting.



3 comments:

  1. It looks like your family likes having you around.
    Did you like it in Ireland?

    Finn Hamill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi finn yes i do like it in ireland but i like new zealand better.
    thanks
    finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of the most valuable parts of your trip Finn - getting to see where your family has come from. I'm sure you will also learn lots about how different your life would have been if your family had not come to NZ. How strong is there accents. Can you understand them clearly. Do they use different words for things than we do in NZ? Mr Marquand

    ReplyDelete